[SOLVED] Office 365 SMTP starts firing net_io_connectionclosed

Issue

A while ago I’ve configured my ASP.NET C# project to send e-mail via Office 365, but last week it’s starting to throw a lot of exceptions.

System.IO.IOException: Unable to read data from the transport connection: net_io_connectionclosed. 
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ProcessRead(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 read, Boolean readLine) 
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ReadLines(SmtpReplyReader caller, Boolean oneLine) 
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpReplyReaderFactory.ReadLine(SmtpReplyReader caller) 
at System.Net.Mail.CheckCommand.Send(SmtpConnection conn, String& response) 
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpTransport.SendMail(MailAddress sender, MailAddressCollection recipients, String deliveryNotify, Boolean allowUnicode, SmtpFailedRecipientException& exception) 
at System.Net.Mail.SmtpClient.Send(MailMessage message)

How can I prevent this from happening?

  MailMessage message = new MailMessage(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["smtpfrom"], email, strOnderwerp, strBody);
            message.Priority = MailPriority.Normal;
            message.IsBodyHtml = true;
            SmtpClient client = new SmtpClient(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["smtpserver"], Convert.ToInt32((System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["smtpport"])));

            client.EnableSsl = Boolean.Parse(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["smtpssl"]); ;
            client.Credentials = new System.Net.NetworkCredential(System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["smtpuser"], System.Configuration.ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["smtppass"]);

            client.Send(message);
            client.Dispose();

The exceptions seems to be thrown on the Dispose.

Solution

This same issue started at my company on February 8th. The problem would come and go with no pattern.

What I believe solved the problem was a change to the SMTP server address.

Our original SMTP server address was podxxxxx.outlook.com and still works most of the time. I checked for the current O365 SMTP server address in our portal and it should be smtp.office365.com.

I changed my config to point to this new address and the problem seems to have gone away. My logs show no errors for the last 24+ hours after the change.

If the error starts happening again I will update this.

Answered By – csbelli

Answer Checked By – Katrina (BugsFixing Volunteer)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *